By @MichaelCaples –
The folks in Calumet will get one thing their U.P. neighbors in Marquette didn’t when they celebrate winning Kraft Hockeyville USA.
The Red Wings.
Detroit has announced that they will play the St. Louis Blues at the Calumet Colosseum on Sept. 26 in the NHL preseason game that comes with the Kraft Hockeyville USA 2019 title that Copper Country won earlier this month.
“The Red Wings are very excited to have the unique opportunity to take part in Kraft Hockeyville USA,” said Red Wings executive vice president and general manager Ken Holland in a release. “There are many Red Wings fans throughout northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula, so we’re excited to share in this special day to celebrate our great game playing against an old rival in the St. Louis Blues.”
When Marquette’s Lakeview Arena hosted in 2016, the Buffalo Sabres and the Carolina Hurricanes took part in the preseason game.
This time along, the hockey community in Calumet will get to celebrate with the Winged Wheel.
NBC Sports will be broadcasting the game, as well, with a 7 p.m. puck drop slated for the event.
The Calumet Colosseum posted some more details on its Facebook page yesterday:
- There will be a lottery system of some sort, with tickets available for the game itself and the morning skates of both teams.
- Tickets will be free to everyone who gets one.
- We are very excited to get youth hockey players into the rink to experience as much of this as possible.
- We hope to host additional events outside of the morning skates and game itself with the intention of bringing our community as close as possible to this once-in-a-lifetime event!
- Updates will be posted here on the Calumet Colosseum Facebook page, on the Instagram page (CalumetColosseum), our Twitter handle (@CalColosseum when it launches) and our website.
- Keep up to date with us and let’s have some fun!