By @MichaelCaples –
High school hockey players interested in applying for the Ryan Fischer Legacy Scholarship need to apply by Friday.
Information on the annual scholarship can be found here.
The Ryan Fischer Legacy Scholarship was established in honor of the late Ryan Fischer, former captain of the Grandville High School Bulldogs.
Fischer was a remarkable young man; just take a look at this list of accomplishments.
- 4.1 GPA – 32 ACT – National Honors Society
- Varsity Letter (3 Years) and Team Captain in Hockey (2 years)
- Varsity Letter (2 Years) and Team Captain in Football (3 years)
- Varsity Letter in Baseball
- Student Government Executive Board Member (4 years)
- MHSAA Student Advisory Council Member
- MHSAA Scholar Athlete Award Winner
- General Electric Star Scholarship Winner
- Meijer Scholar Athlete Award Winner
- Accepted to the United States Military Academy at West Point
- Accepted to the United States Naval Academy
- Logged 700+ Hours of Community Service
- Youth Group Leader and 3 Year Mission Trip Participant
He was planning on attending the United States Military Academy at West Point to serve our country.
The purpose of the Ryan Fischer Legacy Award and its accompanying scholarship is:
- To REMEMBER and honor the life of Ryan Fischer and all he stood for through his strong faith in God, his passion for his country, his unconditional love for all others and his zeal to live life to its fullest.
- TO ENCOURAGE AND CHALLENGE area varsity hockey players to live a life that represents the integrity, character and sportsmanship that Ryan displayed in all facets of his life.
- To RECOGNIZE one senior varsity hockey (boy or girl) player that best reflects Ryan’s life.
- To ESTABLISH and promote a standard for all amateur athletes.
Criteria for the scholarship include:
- Senior in High School with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA
- Accepted to a university or universities – Scholarship made payable to university only
- Must have lettered in at least two varsity sports including hockey
- Must be of high moral character, demonstrate a strong faith in God, a love for this country and be committed to community service
- Must also demonstrate outstanding sportsmanship, exceptional leadership, integrity and a positive attitude.
The award is presented at the High School All-State Awards Banquet in April.